CHILD PROTECTION WORKSHOPS
A series of workshops to raise awareness and improve practices within school and university communities
CIS has enlisted a team of child protection experts to educate and support all school stakeholders in preparation for the global implementation of core Accreditation Standards for Child Protection. Comprehensive workshops will take place across the world in the coming year to provide broad regional access to training and are open to Board Members, Governors, Leaders, Counsellors, Teachers and Staff. Gain a broad understanding about building a robust safeguarding programme in our foundation workshop and then go in-depth on specific topics in our deep dive workshops.
Register for one or both workshops. Participants are required to attend a foundation workshop before registering for a deep dive workshop.
An initiative to prepare international school communities for the implementation of new Accreditation Standards for Child Protection
- Ensure school communities possess knowledge and a shared understanding of the signs and risks of child abuse.
- Develop understanding and common interpretation of the new Accreditation Standards to support the development of effective systems, policies and practices to prevent abuse.
- Develop knowledge of age-appropriate, healthy relationship education for children and young people based upon new UNESCO and WHO guidelines.
- Identify problematic sexual behaviour, including peer on peer abuse and virtual abuse, and explore how to support educate students to develop self-protective skills.
- Focus on challenges facing international school communities as they strive to interpret various cultural attitudes, laws and actions in addressing forms of abuse.
- Defining and Understanding the Causes and Practices of Sexual Abusers - Identifying Problematic Sexual Behaviour in Young People
- The Impact of Child Trauma on Learning: Describing the Long-Term Impact of Abuse on Educational Outcomes and Adult Life
- Empowering Student Voice: Developing Awareness and Self-Protective Skills
Strand 1: Managing Child Abuse in an International Community
- Developing School-wide Child Protection Policies and Practices, aligned with new Accreditation Standards
- Managing Allegations of Abuse in a School Community
- Communicating in a Crisis: Leadership in Action
- Effective International Recruitment and Selection Practices, aligned with new Accreditation Standards
Strand 2: Educating and Supporting Students
- Identifying Abuse and Handling Initial Disclosures
- Healthy Relationship Education: Supporting Students as they Navigate Physical and Virtual Abuse
- Discussing Abuse in Diverse Cultural Settings: Supporting Staff and Families
…in-depth training for those who have completed initial training
The Deep Dive workshops are exclusively for those who have completed foundation workshop.
Deep Dive #1
Introducing a new protocol for managing allegations of abuse against adults – a workshop including case studies and group discussion
- Implementing a Child Protection Programme: policies, roles and responsibilities
- Establishing a multi-disciplinary response team
- Legal implications and conflicts
- Communicating effectively during a crisis
- Supporting victims; urgent actions
- Case study review; group discussion and reflection
Deep Dive #2
Cognitive Behavioral Intervention for Trauma in Schools (CBITS*) - including case consultation
*Certification program for counsellors and psychologists
Deep Dive #3
Educating and Supporting Students
- Healthy Relationship Education: New curriculum from UNESCO and WHO
- Identifying Problematic Sexual Behaviour in Youth
- Peer on Peer Abuse, including Virtual Abuse
- Developing Self-Protective Skills in Students
- Discuss challenges supporting students, parents and staff from different cultural backgrounds
- Case study review: group discussion and reflection